Facts About RMHC
News of Note
U.S. News & World Report's "America's Best Graduate Schools" rankings released in March 2015 listed RMHC at 24th in the nation, out of the 166 Rehabilitation Counseling Graduate Programs in the United States.
RMHC Faculty Travel Abroad
Dr. William Kearns has presented a week-long Master Class on Gerontechnology at Nan Kai University of Technology (Taiwan). He also has taught at the College of Applied Sciences, Health, and Engineering Summer Program at the University of Utrecht in The Netherlands.
Dr. Marilyn Stern is the recipient of a Lady Davis Fellowship, which is enabling her to travel to Hebrew University/Hadassah Medical Center in Jerusalem, Israel as a Visiting Research professor. Dr. Stern is also the recipient of two Fulbright awards, one to University of Haifa, Haifa, Israel, and one to Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva, Israel.
Dr. Rick Weinberg teaches a course on Intimate Relationships in Florence, Italy during the summer session.
Involvement with Professional Journals
Dr. John Rasch, Emeritus Professor, was a founding member of Rehabilitation Education and the Journal of Private Sector Rehabilitation. The first, Rehabilitation Education, was started in 1987 and is the official journal of the National Council on Rehabilitation Education. Still published by Springer under its new name of Rehabilitation Research, Policy and Education, the journal continues to present and review scientific evidence and issues related to rehabilitation, rehabilitation and disability policy, rehabilitation education, and all aspects related to rehabilitation service.
The second, Journal of Private Sector Rehabilitation, was started in 1986, and is still published today by Elliott & Fitzpatrick, Inc. In 1990, the Journal merged with NARPPS Journal to become Rehabilitation Professional, the official journal of the International Association of Rehabilitation Professionals (formerly the National Association of Rehabilitation Professionals in the Private Sector).
Dr. Tammy Jorgensen-Smith is on the editorial boards of the Journal of Rehabilitation and the Journal of Vocational Rehabilitation. The Journal of Rehabilitation has been published by the National Rehabilitation Association since 1935. An internationally acclaimed publication in the forefront of rehabilitation research, the Journal examines counseling, restorative services, retraining, and placement of persons disabled by physical, mental, emotional or social disabilities. It is the official publication of the National Rehabilitation Association. The Journal of Vocational Rehabilitation is published by IOS Press (Netherlands), and focuses on rehabilitation articles that have immediate application for helping rehabilitation counselors, psychologists and other professionals in providing direct services to people with disabilities, through original research articles, review articles, program descriptions, and case studies.
Dr. William Kearns is the Associate editor of Gerontechnology, the official journal of the International Society for Gerontechnology, which is a standing member of the International Association of Gerontology and Geriatrics. Published in the Netherlands, Gerontechnology provides a forum for reporting original research, review papers, and personal perspectives on "aging in place," that is, the fitting technological environments to support changing life goals and lifestyle preferences into advanced age.
Dr. Marilyn Stern is on the editorial board of Children's Health Care. Published by Taylor and Francis, the journal publishes empirically-based articles addressing theoretical, clinical, programmatic, training, and professional practice issues relevant to the family-centered, developmental, and psychosocial aspects of children' health care.
Dr. Rick Weinberg is Associate Editor, Macrosystemic Issues, for the Association of Postdoctoral Psychology and Internship Centers (APPIC) Newsletter. APPIC is dedicated to providing resources for training directors, psychology interns, and psychology intern applicants.
Where RMHC Faculty Published in 2014
- Acta Haematologica (Karger, Switzerland)
- Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (Saunders, US)
- Child: Care, Health and Development (Wiley-Blackwell, UK)
- Eating Behaviors (Elsevier, UK)
- European Journal of Nutrition (Springer Medizin, Germany)
- International Journal of Pediatrics (Hindawi, US)
- Journal of Applied Rehabilitation Counseling (National Rehabilitation Counseling Association, US)
- Journal of Child and Family Studies (Springer, US)
- Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation (Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, US)
- Journal of Marriage and Family (Wiley-Blackwell, US)
- Journal of Psychosocial Oncology (Routledge, US)
- PLoS One (Public Library of Science, US)
- Rehabilitation Research, Policy, and Education (Springer, US)
RMHC and Public Policy
Dr. Tennyson Wright, Department Chair, has the distinction of being a delegate to the 1977 White House Conference on Handicapped Individuals, which was the first White House Conference on issues of persons with disabilities. At this conference, delegates were encouraged "to impact in new ways on State and local governments, the private sector and the Federal Government to bring greater independence, dignity and full participation into community life for all mentally and physically handicapped individuals." Read the Proceedings of the Conference here.
RMHC and Professional Recognition
Faculty in RMHC have received national, state, and local recognition for their research, service, and leadership.
- American Psychological Association: Dorothy Booz Black Award for Outstanding Scholarship in Counseling Health Psychology
- American Rehabilitation Counseling Association: Service Award
- National Association of Multi-cultural Rehabilitation Concerns: Virgie Winston-Smith Lifetime Achievement Award, the Commitment and Leadership Award, and the President's Award for Leadership and Dedication.
- National Association for Persons Supporting Employment First: Research Award
- National Conference for Community and Justice: Brotherhood/Sisterhood Award
- National Council on Disability: Outstanding Service Award
- National Rehabilitation Association: Mary E. Switzer Distinguished Fellow, the Sylvia Walker Multicultural Award, and the Yvonne Johnson National Leadership Award
- Florida Psychological Association: Outstanding Contribution to Psychology in the Public Interest Award
- Tampa/Hillsborough County Human Rights Council: Human Rights Award